Sunday, July 29, 2007

Saying Goodbye to Tanzania

Agnes, Jen, Pavan, and I have arrived in the Dar airport so early that they won’t let us in. This is a new predicament for me, kinda funny. I woke up at 5:30 to get ready and checked out of the hotel in Zanzibar, then we took the ferry back to Dar. I am so glad the my friends talked me into going to Zbar, it is such a calm and beautiful place. The sand felt like tons of flour had been dumped out on the ground. The water was turquoise. The people were more reserved, but also much more enthralled with our minimal ability to converse in Kiswahili.

I am quite sad to leave. I can’t believe how much I feel a part of this culture, these people, this land.

We are all planning ways to keep up our momentum when we return. The coming year will be intense academically, studying for board exams all year. So we will need all the energy and effort our friends can offer, to make these opportunities become reality.

One last note: Why Tanzania?
Because the doctor to patient ratio is 1:25,000
Because we have had our hearts softened to the condition of our most poor patients as we have lived some aspects of their lives along with them (sitting on top of laps and crammed into small spaces to fit on public transport, going without water, bartering for food, etc.). We were honored by them as they gave us their support when we were unable to maneuver through this new place on our own. We are a part of Tanzania and as a result, it will make us better physicians to our patients in Philadelphia.

Thank you for being a part of this with us!

-rachel, for the group

No comments: